Gas connections and gas meters

If you need a new gas supply or are unsure what to do when your gas meter or connection is playing up, we've got some information that might see you through. If in doubt, always call on a Gas Safe Registered engineer.

Homes in the UK are supplied with natural gas at low or medium pressure through a network of distributions pipelines known as a Gas Distribution Network (GDN). These GDN’s are provided a supply of natural gas via the National Transmission System (NTS) which is owned and operated by National Grid.

Each domestic gas connection in British homes is provided by various Gas Suppliers and licensed by OFGEM, the UK energy industry’s ombudsman.

Gas connections

If you need a new gas supply or would like to have your existing gas service pipe altered or disconnected, there are a range of companies who provide this service.

Call the National Grid on 0870 903 9999 for information on how to arrange a new gas connection or how to alter an existing connection.

Gas meters 

Residential (domestic) gas meters are provided by gas suppliers so you will need to contact them directly should you have any problems or queries surrounding your meter. Contact details for your supplier can be found on your gas bill.

If you're unsure who your gas supplier is, or if you don't currently have a gas meter, call the M Number Enquiry Line on 0870 608 1524 and ask for your MPRN (Meter Point Reference Number). This is the unique identifier for your gas supply point and will identify the current registered gas supplier at your property. If your home has never benefitted from a natural gas supply before, you will need to arrange for a new connection to be made.

Gas suppliers 

The gas in your home is provided by a gas supplier, who must be licensed by OFGEM to sell gas. Gas suppliers sell gas directly to consumers.

National Distribution System (NTS)

This network provides high pressure natural gas supplies from the gas entry terminal points directly to power stations and other large industrial users and also supplies natural gas to the Gas Distribution Networks. It is owned and operated by National Grid.

Gas Distribution Networks (GDN)

A Gas Distribution Network is the process where natural gas provided by National Transmission System at high pressure is passed into the low and medium pressure distribution networks through underground pipe work to homes and businesses.

In order to set up a new gas connection for your home, you'll need to find out which gas network your property falls under. This will vary depending on the area in which you live.

The UK mainland gas network is divided up into eight separate gas networks. Take a look at the list below to find out which network your property is covered by.

National Grid

  • East of England

  • North West England

  • West Midlands

  • London

Northern Gas Networks

  • North of England

Scotia Gas Networks

  • Scotland

  • South England

Wales and West Utilities

  • Wales

  • South West England

Independent gas transporters

If your local gas main is part of an independent gas transporter (IGT), you'll need to contact that specific IGT to request a new gas connection.

How to get a gas connection

If you're looking to set up a new domestic gas connection or need to alter an existing gas connection, you may be unsure where to begin.

To order a new gas meter for your home, you will need to identify which gas network your property is covered by and contact them directly. There are a range of different types of meters available (e.g. wall-mounted, semi-concealed, standalone) so ask your supplier for more information if you're unsure which is best for you.

Gas meters in new properties

If you've just moved into a new property which has never had a gas meter installed before, you'll firstly need to check that you have a gas connection. If so, you can obtain a new meter from your gas supplier.

Problems with your gas meter

Your gas meter is provided by your gas supplier, so if you're having problems with your meter, you’ll need to contact your gas supplier.

Altering gas connections

You may require an alteration to your gas connection if you need to move your gas meter or change your service pipe route, length or size. If this is the case, you'll need to contact your gas network to arrange the alteration for you.

To arrange a gas connection alteration for non-domestic properties, contact your gas network or take a look at the OFGEM website.

If you require meter box spares or repairs for your domestic gas meter (such as hinge pins, locks or keys), you'll need to contact your gas network. When arranging for a repair, or to order a spare part, it's likely that you will be asked to provide some or all of the following information. So, be prepared and make sure you have as much of the information listed below as possible before picking up the phone.

Your address and telephone number

You'll need to provide the address of your home and a contact telephone number. If your property is a new build and has not yet been assigned an address, you'll need to register your property with the Post Office.

The location of your gas meter

It'll make it easier for your gas network to understand your requirements if you can specify which part of your home your gas meter is located in.

Meter Point Reference Number (MPRN)

You should be able to find your MPRN on your gas bill. Contact your gas supplier if you can't locate your reference number.

A correspondence address

If your home hasn't been allocated an address yet, you'll be asked to provide an alternative address where any correspondence will be sent in the meantime.

Read our disclaimer