Jargon Buster - P

Confused by DIY terms? We’ve got you covered from A-Z with our Jargon Buster!

Panel heating

A method of heating involving the installation of the heating units (pipe coils) in the walls, floor or ceiling of the room.

Panel radiators

A heating unit placed on, or flush with, a flat wall surface and intended to function as a radiator.

Perforated panel

A panel that is usually fitted across the front of a cabinet to dissipate the heat and add to the unit's appearance.

Pilot light

A small gas flame, usually natural gas or liquefied petroleum gas, which is kept alight in order to serve as an ignition source for a more powerful gas burner.

Pipe joints

The connection point between two pipes, or a pipe and a component.

Pitched roof

A roof with two or more slopes at more than 10 degrees to the meeting point.


Surfaces that have tiny openings which allow liquid to be absorbed, or to pass through.

Pressure gauge

A gadget to tell the pressure of the water in the system pipe work.

Pressure vessel

A storage container, designed to hold liquids at a pressure substantially different from the ambient pressure.

Primary heat exchanger

Main heat exchanger in a boiler, usually serves the radiator system.


A mechanical, electrical, or combination device incorporating a timer that can be pre-set to enable a central heating system to be turned on or off at intervals to suit the consumer.

PTFE tape

Also called plumber's tape. A thin film cut to specified widths for use in sealing pipe threads.


A device used to circulate water around the central heating system and/or hot water cylinder.

Pump impeller

The part of a circulating pump that drives the water.

Pump outlet

The water port on the circulating pump that the water flows out from. 


Read our disclaimer